Friday, November 21, 2008

Another reason I need to take up hunting

Today, I had 3 hours to kill, not enough time to go home, and 10 dollars burning a hole in my pocket. So I did what most men did today...I went and saw tweener smash, "twilight"....alone. I know, I know...a little creepy. As a father to a daughter, I am fully aware of how creepy it is for a man to go to a movie alone in the middle of the day. Especially a movie that centers (basically) around a high school romance. Creepy, I know. How did I get here?

After reading the Harry Potter series 3 times over, the Narnia books a few times, and getting half-way through a stephen King novel, I tackled the mind of a 17 year old girl. That's where the Twilight books begin. In the mind of Bella Swan. Strangely enough, this is not the first time I've read a "girls" book...or "chick lit" (I love quotation marks)
When I was in 4th grade, I read a book called "Glass Slippers Give you blisters". In it, a girl feels like an outcast, but finds the good in every situation. I didn't realize this was chick lit until I stood up to give my book report in class. When I read the title, John Aldrege said "That's a girl's book". I was embarrassed, I must admit. But I digress.

I was looking forward to the "Half Blood Prince" that was supposed to come out today. I was not as excited for this movie, but given that I'd read the books, I was still pretty sure I would have to see it on opening day. I would have liked to not seem creepy in the process, though. But whatever.

It was a good movie. They stayed really true to the story as much as they could. I would have liked to have seen more of Edward's backstory. But Robert Pattinson did a good job. The whole cast played it a little cheesy. BUt overall, it was a good representation of Stephanie Meyer's work. I really hope the finish out the series. I want to see more of Jacob and the wolf thing. I hope they get a different director for it, though. Someone more suited to the genre.
A cameo by Wesley Snipes as a vampire hunter would be sweet, too. But I don't think that will happen.


The strangest thing about the experience was the amount of single ticket holding men there. IN a half-full theater, there were probably 4 guys there by themselves. And a lot of older women. I have two theories about the guys. 1) They're creepy guys scoping out the lonely ladies or 2) Twilight is not "chick lit".
i'm going with number 2. It's a good story. Sure it's a bit on the hopeless romantic side, but it's a really compelling journey filed with temptations, trials, overcoming adversity and uniting in the face of evil. I hope Stephanie Meyer writes some more of them. Especially about Jacob. I was team Edward all the way, though.

So I watched this movie alone. With a bunch of lonely single women. And some single guys. I really need to take up bow-hunting grizzly bears.


On another note. One year ago today, my world got all shook up. that's all I'll say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home