Friday, August 22, 2008

Michael Scott self awareness

I heard an interview with steve carell on NPR the other day. I love NPR. Mostly on the weekends, but that's not the point. He was talking about his cringe inducing character on the Office, Michael Scott. The interviewer prompted him to respond with the typical "there's a little michael scott in us all" type of answer. Instead, he says something like this.
"Look at your group of friends and think who the Michael Scott is. If you can't think of one, look in the mirror"
So I did that. I think i'm way too much like Michael Scott. Woefully self-unaware. Saying things I don't mean in the absolute wrong moment. I've also been compared by others to Strongsad, and Eeyore. All of this is slightly disturbing. Would I actually do the things that Michael Scott does? With obviously less humorous results?
A good friend of mine used to give me these disappointed looks at almost every attempted joke. Coincidentally, another friend in college would actually make sure I and everyone else knew that what I just said wasn't funny. This has led to a couple of unintentional consequences. I keep my mouth shut and don't make jokes. This makes me seem reclusive and in a state of constant depression. Which is not the case. WHile my sense of humor is an acquired taste...that's the end of that sentence. For example.
Great Scott!
I'm going back to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger the deharts said...

Some of the best comics in the world, or the funniest people, are the ones who aren't funny. Think about that one for a while.

1:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home