Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The biggest day of the year

What an experience.

A while ago, I made the decision I was going to audition for American Idol. Kind of a "nothing to lose everything to gain" kind of situation. So my wife and I made a bunch of plans and saved some money to go to Kansas City to audition. Crazy experience. From waiting in line for six hours one day to get a wristband, to waiting in line for 4 hours to get in...lot's of waiting. I got up to the producer to sing (not any of the TV folks) and sang, then sang again, then again...he says that there's something there, but it's not quite polished enough and to try again. So I took that quite literally and dropped off the wife and kids and drove 17 hours to Jacksonville Florida for the next audition. I still can't believe I did that. I did the same thing all over again. Got in front of the producer (a different one this time) and she said almost the same thing. "You've got a beautiful voice, but the presentation isn't quite there." Crazy time. I did make it onto a local TV Station with Andrew Cook, the brother of David Cook. So...go me. Check it out here.

There was a girl dressed as a bunny, a guy with a fake accent, a guy with a gold glitter jacket, and the guy in front of me finished his song with a handstand and made it through (it wasn't a good thing). I'm sure there were many crazies in the crowd. Most were in denial like me.

I'm still processing the whole thing...debating whether or not to do it again next year...

It's been a weird summer. I started it as a outside salesman for a commercial heating and air company and ended it trying out for American Idol. I met some AWESOME teenagers at seek week and SSWC in the middle. Lots of questions and a few answers. Jesus is still the best thing ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home