Monday, February 12, 2007

The Way

I've been searching old friends on facebook and myspace. Come to find out a guy who played my dad in The Sound of Music when I was 12 or 13 is in a band. The band's called Orson and they're steadily climbing the charts in the UK. They're on tour with Robbie WIlliams and Duran Duran. This is BIG STUFF. I'm thrilled for the guy.
I was in a few shows with him and his sister who was my age...is my age. She's out in Hollywood i think.
I also ran across a friend from high school who was in ALl State Choir with me. SHe's doing some big shows out in LA.

I made a conscious choice in college to pursue Christ rather than music or theater or fame or something. I remeber coming back and talking to my High School theater teachers about it. One of them looked at me and told me I could move to New York and act for a living. That I had that kind of talent or something. There were some great actors in high school. It means a lot that they thought I was the one who could have made "it"...whatever that is.

Where does this leave me? There's still this desire to stand on a stage and strut around singing some rock song. Or to put on costume and make-up and play some character in an Arthur Miller play.(Love that realism)

What have I given up and what will I gain from it?
Had Christ not invaded...or at least invaded so deep, I am confident that I could have done any number of things related to music or theater. The rock band or the actor. Something...
Have I really given up fame or riches? Is it histerical to even be talking this way? Kind of, yeah.

This Jesus guy. He just messes it all up. He's come along with his way of thinking..."the last shall be first....servant of all...lose your life to gain it" kind of talk. What do you do with that? That kind of thinking isn't practical...it isn't...it won't put food on the table or a Mercedes in the driveway...or buy a driveway...

Then there's this passage that flips that back on end. Matthew 6. After preaching for a while and mentioning running after clothing or food...after mentioning money and storing up treasures he says to Look for God's Kingdom FIRST! Then He will take care of the things I need. (I don't need a macbook pro, by the way)
He has done this. He is providing as Sascha and I seek him in our feeble, jacked up ways.

I choose Christ. He is better. I'd love to stand on a stage and sing my latest #1 hit. But I choose Jesus. People are stupid...I know...I'm one of them. I'd rather waste myself on the praises of One than on the praises of many. Then I could sleep better. until He woos me deeper, but that's a whole other thing.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home