Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gigging

The things I do for friends.

I'm at this stage in my career where I have to take EVERYTHING that comes along. I cannot afford to turn anything down at this point. The more gigs, the more opportunities to meet people and share my story. I haven't gotten it down to a science like my friend Joel engle. Seriously. I played a gig with him at Celebrate freedom. We had 30 minutes. We did 8 songs and he shared his testimony. That's amazing. It would take me an hour to play 8 songs. Probably because I'd ramble on and on in between songs.
I"m playing for free tonight at Cowamongus cafe and creamery. I actually used to work here. BUt let's not talk about that.
Opening for me (hah!) is a band called Cover(dish). As their name implies, they play cover songs. I tell you and they would. They are hacks. But they're having a good time playing some U2 and some David Crowder and some mutemath. Not the crazy keytar songs, but the slow easy one. I love these guys, though. They are all awesome people. Except bobby. I don't know bobby. But I'm sure he's equally awesome.

I"m not sure how to get gigs. If anyone comes across this and knows, please inform me.
So far, I've played the Door, Caowamongus, and Rockwell's coffee house. Other than church, that's it.
I think I have a good product and worthwhile story.

~on to Jesus~

Have I ever told you the Dennis Jernigan story? No? Here it is.
Dennis Jernigan is a worship leader based out of Oklahoma. His sister and brother in law used to go to my church in Mesquite. One night, I went with my family to a night of praise he was leading at. He makes it a point after each event to talk to whoever wants to talk to him. He's written some big songs. Thank You, Great is the Lord, All in All. Some great stuff. He also has a great testimony. I really admire this guy.
So there I was, 17 with worship leading dreams. Friggin' stars in my eyes. Sort of...maybe crosses instead...hmm.
So I go up to him afterward to ask him advice on leading worship. I had my notebook and stuff, ready to hear these pearls of wisdom that would fall from his lips, knowing it might be too much to write down. But I was going to try.
So I tell him who I am and such. Tell him I"m a worship leader and ask his advice. He looks straight at me and says "Seek Jesus"
I guess I had this over simplified dumb look on my face. Like I wasn't sure I heard right or that there should be more to it. SO he added. "Seek Jesus, not any ministry"
He was right. Seeking JEsus is primary. Rather than seeking stuff or position. He tells us to seek Him. Matthew 6. 33

And i love jesus.
The person of Christ stands as the focal point of my life....most...well a lot of the time.

So to bring this together. I'll just seek jesus and be a good steward of what He's given me.
j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home